Graduate Engineer (Continuous Improvement) – ENGGRAD
AKD is a forestry products company, growing and manufacturing sustainable quality timber products. With operations across Queensland, NSW and Victoria we have 1,000+ team members who are passionate about our business.
AKD is proud of our diverse culture that supports empowered individuals, embraces teamwork, and encourages a simple ‘can do’ attitude.
We are seeking Graduate Engineers who are flexible, driven, and have a desire to learn, to join our Continuous Improvement team in growing region of Moreton Bay.
The Continuous Improvement (CI) function is responsible for ongoing improvement of wood manufacturing processes in order to advance current manufacturing targets and meet sustainable development goals as a business. CI projects typically consist of monitoring and reviewing process performance, followed by identification, implementation, and analysis of potential improvements. As opposed to major asset-based projects, CI projects are typically smaller in scope, source funding from the site operational budget (as opposed to the capital budget) and show more immediate, measurable returns. Example projects range from feasibility studies, such as simulation of log sorting process for optimal process flow, to equipment-based projects, such as managing upgrade or replacement equipment on the processing line.
The engineer will work both collaboratively and independently on projects as assigned by senior engineers and site staff. The engineer may provide input on the equipment, utilities, and process systems, take the lead on design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. The candidate will work on several concurrent projects and would ideally progress to managing their own project portfolio with enough experience.
The engineer will also be part of a graduate cohort program where additional professional development will be provided. This includes:
- A positive, fun, and engaging experience
- Exposure to multiple business functions/departments and ideally sites
- Experience with real projects, responsibilities and building expertise
- Support from a dedicated mentor for the duration of the program
- Structured networking with AKD personnel and peers
This is a technical, hands-on role requiring someone with a can-do attitude. You must be willing to think creatively, be able to work closely with and foster strong engagement with key stakeholders, engineering, and operational teams.
Key duties & responsibilities will include:
- Perform investigations into existing processes and identify, develop, implement and analyse solutions to improve process performance.
- Prepares engineering studies and creates new designs and procedures for equipment, utilities and process systems and analyses the operation of existing systems based on preliminary review and user requirements.
- Regularly review operational data to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Contributes to proposals, plans, reports, presentations, budgets and technical specifications, documents, drawings and schema as per AKD standards and procedures.
- Collaborate with staff members at all levels across the business, as well as external vendors, contractors and consultants as needed.
- Bachelor of Engineering Degree at a level equivalent to AQF 7 or completion of all course requirements thereof, preferably in Mechanical or Chemical (Process) engineering
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software, with knowledge of PowerBI, PowerQuery and/or Pivot Tables advantageous but not essential.
- Experience (incl. through university coursework) with common CAD software, such as packages from the AutoDesk, SolidWorks or ANSYS suites.
- Aptitude for programming with some experience (incl. through university coursework) with high-level languages such as Python, VBA and MATLAB.
- Appreciation for basic statistics and its application to data analysis and production reporting.
- Basic understanding of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, particularly the PCDA cycle.
- Aptitude for both mechanistic and data-driven approaches to root cause analysis.
- Commitment to safety, wellbeing and a zero-harm environment.
If you’re keen to join the team and you believe you have the motivation/attitude we are looking for, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject title ENGGRAD.
Applications will close: 2nd December 2022
Note: Pre-employment drug and alcohol, along with functional capacity testing, will be required.